Sunday, January 30, 2011

Soulmates


Twin Flame © 2010 S'zanne Reynolds, digital image

There's a scene from the movie, What Dreams May Come, where the departed husband has just learned that his wife has left earth for the illusion of her self-created suicidal purgatory. He is determined to find her, rescue her from this self-induced punishment or hell, and bring her back to his heaven, a state of consciousness created by her paintings.

He's told he can never succeed. The devoted husband reminds his angelic guide that there are no rules. "It's not about understanding; it's about not giving up!" he shouts. "I'm her soulmate, I can find her."

I was amazed to see that the movie's background scene nearly perfectly matched the above image I took in Sedona, where I had so many past reflections of my own departed husband. The only thing missing were the animated flashes of lightening!

Wikipedia defines a soulmate as, " a person with whom one has a feeling of deep and natural affinity, love, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality, and/or compatibility. A related concept is that of the twin flame or twin soul which is thought to be the ultimate soulmate, the one and only other half of one's soul, for which all souls are driven to find and join."

A twin flame or twin soul has been defined as finding your true selfhood, without the body or ego personality.

It seems to me that a soulmate can be different things to different people, always bringing you back to discovering your God origins or spiritual oneness. A soulmate can be anything-- a lover, mother, sister, friend, pet or even a talent like painting--that accompanies you on this journey of finding your real selfhood. It would seem that we have to lose this mortal sense of self to rediscover our twin flame...which we in fact, have never really lost, as it's always been right there within us...in our ever creative self-awareness, our eternal oneness with all Being.

So while we have company along the way, sometimes we do not. But we are never really alone, as our twin flame is always there burning brightly for us to find our way home.

"I'm her soulmate, I can find her."
-- from the movie, What Dreams May Come

1 comment:

Mel said...

Ha ... now I remember this movie and the colors are fabulous! I'd forgotten it with this discussion I'm remembering ... and you've interpreted it so well!