Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Express to Success

Hill Country Marvel 1, digital photo by S'zanne Reynolds © 2012
 
"Success is not down the road. It can be precisely where you are on the road, right now, today." ~Victoria Moran

I was on my way to Houston (road trip) for several photo shoots I was hired to do. I was really nervous and excited at the same time. Thoughts like, what if I blow it, and, what if my photos don't turn out, were running through my head. Suddenly a flash of gorgeous blurred by my window so I made a U-turn, put on my hazards and donned my neon yellow vest.

Hill Country Marvel 2, digital photo by S'zanne Reynolds © 2012

Beholding a true Hill Country marvel, scenes like this make you grateful just to be alive! Surely God invented color right here--just look at this blanket of bluebonnets bathed in the early evening light. It's hard to fathom how parched the earth was in last summer's fires and drought when you see such verdant fields. It's even more difficult to imagine not taking a great photo of such a beautiful scene.

Case in point, I took it as a sign my work in Houston would be a blessing for all. And, as it turned out, I had a blast and my shoots were successful. More on those later.

I love what Victoria Moran says in her book, Fit From Within: "Start to interpret success as every day you pay attention to your inner life, eat reasonably, and treat yourself and others well.... The truest indication that you're winning this battle (life, whatever) comes in how you spend your days. The idea is to start living fully--and being a success in your own eyes--sooner rather than later."


Hill Country Marvel 3, digital photo by S'zanne Reynolds © 2012
Another way to put it is to pay attention to what's right there in front of you, or, on the side of the road. There might just be something really great you don't want to pass by. Success is in the eye of the beholder...particularly your own. Success begins with loving what you know and who you are right now...living each moment to the fullest, right now. Success is right under your own feet...or in the direction you most desire to take.

So pull over and look around...you may already be on the road to success! (If not, I highly recommend U-turns!)


No comments: